New Zealand Tourism Research Institute
School of Hospitality and Tourism
Faculty of Applied Humanities
Auckland University of Technology
Office Phone: (64 9) 921 9245
Cell phone : 021 671 232
Professor Simon Milne brings a global perspective to the institute, having conducted tourism research in New Zealand, the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, the South Pacific, Kenya, the Philippines, Vietnam and Russia. His recent work with NZTRI has focused on better understanding the links between information technology, tourism and local economic development. He has considerable international experience in local and regional economic impact assessment, tourism strategy development, and small and medium enterprise performance and industry sector analysis.
He has over 20 years of experience in conducting and co-ordinating large scale research projects. He
has a particular interest in the use of innovative survey techniques and mixed methods to understand complex research questions. He also has a long standing interest in building the links between culture, heritage and tourism to enable and strengthen economic outcomes for communities and regions.
Professor Simon Milne was born in New Zealand and has been conducting research on issues relating to tourism and regional economic development for over 15 years. He completed his MA in Geography at Auckland University in 1985 and his thesis focused on the economic impact of tourism in the Cook Islands.
He then went to Cambridge to complete a PhD in industrial geography. His doctorate focused on the impacts of technology and new management strategies on the corporate location and labour market needs of various manufacturing firms in the UK. For much of 1988 he also worked for the United Nations Development Program as a tourism economist in the South Pacific. He joined the Department of Geography at McGill University in 1989.
In 1990 he formed the multidisciplinary McGill Tourism Research Group, which he continues to co-ordinate. He remains an Adjunct Professor at McGill. In 1998 he took up the position as Professor of Tourism at Victoria University. Simon Milne created the New Zealand Tourism Research Institute in 1999. The new millennium took him to Auckland University of Technology(AUT) in the position of Associate Dean of Research.
He became in 2007 the Associate Head of School (Research), School of Hospitality and Tourism at AUT. He has supervised many PhD and Masters students since 1995.
Academic awards/ honours
- 1982 Annual Prize in Geography
- Haydon Prize in History
- 1983 Senior Prize in Geography
- Senior Prize in History
- 1985 Cumberland Prize (best Geography MA Thesis)
- 1986 Fowlds Memorial Prize in Arts (best MA Thesis in Arts Faculty)
- 1996-98 Member editorial board, Tourism Geographies
- 1998-03 Member editorial board, Pacific Tourism Review(now Tourism Review International)
- 2001-03 Book Review Editor, Pacific Tourism Review (now Tourism Review International).
- 2003 Appointed to the New Zealand national PBRF panel - Business and Economics.
- 2003 Appointed as member of editorial/review panel for ENTER 2004
- 2004 Received ‘A' research grading in National PBRF review
- 2004-5 Appointed to NZ Government Social Science Policy Reference Group, New Zealand
- 2005-8 Elected to IFITT Australasia Board
- 2006 Member Editorial Board - Shima: International Journal of Research into Island Cultures
- 2006 Re-appointed to the New Zealand national PBRF panel - Business and Economics.
University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ- BA Degree 1983 (History, Geography double major)- MA Degree 1985 (Geography, First Class Hons)Thesis: The Economic Impact of Tourism in the Cook Islands.University of Cambridge, England- PhD Degree 1989 (Geography)Thesis: New Forms of Manufacturing and their Spatial Implications.
- Consultancies and advisory work
A selection of consultancy and advisory work undertaken by Simon Milne as a primary investigator or key co-investigator includes:
- 2008 Ministry of Fisheries, Economic impact of marine tourism on fishing communities.
- 2007 Community Partnership Fund, NZ Digital Strategy - ‘Podzone’ empowering communities to develop local podcasts in Western Southland
- 2007 Aviation, Tourism and Travel Training Organisation
- 2007 UNDP – Vanuatu DTIS study
- 2007 CORFO Patagonian SME and destination development
- 2007 Museums Aotearoa Museums Aotearoa Web-barometer
- 2006 Youth Hostel Association, New Zealand Research Program
- 2006 Tourisme Tahiti - New Zealand Market for Tahiti Tourism
- 2006 Cook Islands Tourism Corp - Online Visitor Departure survey
- 2006 Trade & Enterprise NZ Pukaha - Mt Bruce Wildlife Sanctuary Capability Study
- 2006 Destination Queenstown - Local Impacts of the Queenstown Winter Festival 2006
- 2006 Department of Labour Workplace Group - Food and Beverage Productivity Study
- 2006 EU/SPTO - Tourism Strategy Development Resources, South Pacific Tourism Investment Marketplace, and Regional Tourism Strategy review.
- 2006 Western Southland Promotions Association Inc - Developing a Community Building' Website
- 2005 European Union Ongoing implementation of Proinvest Pacific Tourism Program
- 2005 EU/SPTO Economic Impact, SME Training Needs, SME online toolkit development
- 2004 Parks Canada- Northern Labrador Tourism Vision Development
- 2004 Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency- Review and enhancement of tour operator web presence
- 2003 European Union - Review of tourism aid effectiveness in Sth Pacific & Implementation of Proinvest Pacific Tourism Program
- 2003 NZ Dept. of Labour - The Future of Work in the NZ Accommodation Industry
- 2002 NZ Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Travel agent perceptions of bio-security initiatives.
- 2002 North Shore City Council- Development of Urban Tourism Management Plan
- 2002 Community Employment Group - Feasibility Study for proposed Te Kahurangi conference facility
- 2002 UNESCAP - Womens Role in Philippines Tourism
- 2001 NZ - FRST - Virtual tourism community development
- 2000 Ski Areas Association of New Zealand, -The Local Economic Impact of Snow Sports: (Ohakune/Raupehu)
- 1999 Auckland City Council - Urban Greenspace Use and management
- 1999 Ski Areas Association of New Zealand -National Economic Impact of Snow sports in New Zealand
- 1999 Ski Areas Association of New Zealand, Mt Cook Group - The Local Economic Impact of Snow Sports
- Hull, J. S., & Milne, S. S. (2010). Port readiness planning in the Arctic: building community support. In M. Luck, P.T. Maher, & E. J. Stewart (Eds), Cruise Tourism in Polar Regions (pp. 180-204). Earthscan: London.
- Bhat, S.S. & Milne, S.(forthcoming 2010). Factors Affecting Cooperation in Destination Marketing: the development of www.purenz.com. In D. Dredge & J. Jenkins (Eds.), “Stories of Practice: Tourism Policy and Planning”( ISBN Number 978-0-7546-7982-0.) (pp……….) Ashgate Publishing.
- Milne, S (2009) Tourism, in Rappaport, M (ed) The Pacific Islands: Environment & Society (2nd Ed) University of Hawaii Press, Hawaii
- Milne, S Clark, V Speidel, U Nodder C, and Dobbin N 2008 Information Technology & Tourism Enterprise Collaboration: cases from Rural New Zealand in J. Salmon & L. Wilson (eds) Handbook of Research on Electronic Collaboration & Organizational Synergy, IGI Publishing, Hershey PA. pp. 651-663.
- Bhat, S.S. & Milne, S. 2008 Network Influences on Inter-organisational Cooperation in Destination Marketing, Tourism Management 29(6) 1131-1140
- Milne, S 2008 Tourism, in Gay, D (ed) Diagnostic Trade Integration Study – Solomon Islands, UNDP Honiara/New York.
- Dickson, G., & Milne, S. (2008) Measuring the impact of micro-events on local communities: A role for web-based approaches. In J. Ali-Knight, M. Robertson, A. Fyall, & A. Ladkin, (Eds.) (pp. 253-263). International Perspectives of Festivals and Events - Paradigms of Analysis. London: Elsevier.
- Garkavenko, V and Milne, S (2008). ICT and the Travel Industry: Opportunities and Challenges for New Zealand Travel Agents in Van Slyke, C (ed) Information Communication Technologies: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (6 Volumes), IGI Publishers, Hershey, PA, 2898-2916..
- Garkavenko V and Milne S 2008 New Zealand travel agents in the internet era: spatial differences in ICT impact, adoption and perception. In O'Connor, Peter; Höpken, Wolfram; Gretzel, Ulrike (Eds.) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism , Springer Wein, New York, 371-382
- Milne S 2008 Micronesia in M Lueck (ed) Encyclopaedia of Marine Tourism (1500 word entry) CABI, Wallingford
- Milne, S 2008 Polynesia in M Lueck (ed) Encyclopaedia of Marine Tourism (1500 word entry) CABI, Wallingford
- Milne, S 2008 Melanesia, in M Lueck (ed) Encyclopaedia of Marine Tourism (1500 word entry), CABI, Wallingford
- Milne, S. 2007 Tourism. In D. Gay (Ed.), Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) - Vanuatu (Commissioned report for the UNDP New York), pp. 69. New York/ Vila: UNDP.
- Garkavenko, V and Milne, S 2007 ICT and the Travel Industry: Opportunities and Challenges for New Zealand Travel Agents, in W. Pease, M. Rowe, M. Cooper (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Support of the Tourism Industry, IGI Publishing, Hershey PA, 50-75.
- Milne, S. 2007 Review of the SPTO South and Central Pacific Regional Tourism Strategy 2003-2013 EU REIP 5.1, SPTO, Suva
- Tufts, S and Milne S 2007 Museums: a supply-side perspective Annals of Tourism Research 26:3 617-635 reprinted in The Heritage Tourism Experience: Critical Essays, Volume 2, ed. T Dallen International Library of Essays in Tourism, Heritage and Culture Series ed Dallen T, Ashgate, Williston VT pp279-298 (chapter 31).
- Tufts, S and Milne S 2007 Museums: a supply-side perspective (Annals of Tourism Research 26:3 617-635) reprinted in Managing Tourism Firms, ed Morley, C., Economics and Management of Tourism Series, eds Dwyer, L & Forsyth, P.J., Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham pp 539-557
- Roberts, E., & Milne, S. 2006 The role of ITC in New Zealand Hotels: Implications for training. Paper presented at the In search of excellence for tomorrow's tourism, travel and hospitality: 24th EuroCHRIE (European Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education) Conference, October, Greece.
- Bhat, S.S. & Milne, S. 2007 The impact of networks on cooperation in destination marketing: the case of www.purenz.com. In Luisa Andreu, L., Gnoth, J. & Kozak, M. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2007 Advances in Tourism marketing Conference [CD-ROM]. Valencia, Spain: University of Valencia, 10-12 September.
- Milne S, Bremner, H and Delpero, M 2006 Ski areas and sustainable community development: global-local tensions at Mt Ruapehu, New Zealand in Clark, T, Gill, A and Hartmann, R (eds) Mountain Resort Planning and Development in an Era of Globalization New York Cognizant Communication Corporation 78-90
- Milne S 2006 Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada Baldacchino, G Extreme Tourism: Lessons from the World’s Cold Water Islands Oxford Elsevier 89-100
- and Sea, Ian Randle Publishers, Jamaica, WI. Vol 1( 7), 61-75
- Mason, D. & Milne, S. 2006 "Generating agritourism options in the Caribbean: a cost effective model", in Jayawardena, C. (ed.), Caribbean Tourism: More than Sun, Sand
- Milne, S., Clark, V. Hegger, F. November 2005, Economic Impact of the Southern Lakes Ski Areas, report prepared for New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
- Milne, S. November 2005, The Training needs of South Pacific Tourism SME owners & managers- 2005, report prepared for South Pacific Tourism Organisation and the European Union
- Milne, S., Bui, T., July 2005, The economic impact of tourism in SPTO member nations report prepared for South Pacific Tourism Organisation
- Milne, S, Speidel, U, T Goodman and V Clark 2005 Tourism ICT and Regional Economic Development: the case of Kiwitrails, in Frew, A (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism , Springer Wein, New York, 114-124
- Milne, S, Mason, D, Guenther, U and West-Newman, T 2005 Tourism and community informatics: the case of Kiwitrails, Tourism, Culture and Communication 5 (2) 105-114
- Hasse, J, and Milne, S 2005 Participatory Approaches and Geographical Information Systems (PAGIS) in Tourism Planning, Tourism Geographies, 7(3) 272-289.
- Lau, C Milne, S and Johnston C 2005 MICE, ICT & Local Economic Development: The Case of Te Kahurangi, New Zealand, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism 7 (1) 61-75
- Milne S 2004 Profit Pacific Investment Profiles: Tuvalu, Niue Tonga Samoa, Proinvest Profit Pacific Program, EU, Brussels
- Milne S, Mason D, Roberts E, Nodder C, Ateljevic J and Cameron A 2004 NZ Accommodation Providers & ICT: Impacts on Labour Use & Demand, report prepared for the NZ Department of Labour Future of Work Program, NZ Government, Wellington
- Milne, S, Nair, S and Clark, V 2004 Making waves: artificial reefs and urban open space management in New Zealand, Open Space - People Space Conference Edinburgh, October (CD)
- Clark, V and Milne, S 2004 Your mountain or mine? resolving conflict in urban park use in Auckland, New Zealand. Open Space - People Space Conference, Edinburgh, October (CD)
- Hull, J and Milne, S 2004 IT and Tourism in Labrador: Where Two Highways Meet Tourism State of the Art Conference, Glasgow, July (CD)
- Nodder, C and Milne, S 2004 Small tourism enterprises and ICT: tourism policy and ICT adoption in Auckland, New Zealand Tourism State of the Art Conference, Glasgow, July (CD)
- Garkavenko, V and Milne, S 2004 New Zealand travel agents and disintermediation: exploring a complex competitive environment, Tourism State of the Art Conference, Glasgow, July (CD)
- Bhat, S and Milne, S 2004 National tourism portal development and enterprise cooperation: the case of purenz.com, Tourism State of the Art Conference, Glasgow, July (CD)
- Nodder C. and Milne S.2004 Small tourism enterprises and ICT: Characteristics of adopters and champions in Auckland, New Zealand in Mistilis, N (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism - Australia 2003, Proceedings of the Third Tourism Technology Futures Forum, Townsville, Queensland, Australia.
- Milne, S and Ateljevic, I 2004 Tourism, economic development and the global-local nexus, in S. Williams, (ed) Tourism: Critical Concepts in the Social Sciences, Volume III Tourism Development and Sustainability, Routledge, London, 81-104.
- Levinson, J and Milne, S 2004 From Brochures to the Internet: Tourism, Marketing & Development in the Cook Islands, Journal of Pacific Studies,26 (1/2), 175-198.
- Milne S, Mason D and HasseJ 2004 Tourism, Information Technology and Development: Revolution or Reinforcement? inM Hall, A. Lew and A. Williams (eds) A Companion to Tourism Geography, Blackwell, London. 184-195
- Milne S and EwingG 2004 Community Participation In Caribbean Tourism: Problems and Prospects, in Duval, D (ed) Tourism In The Caribbean: Trends, Development, Prospects, Routledge, London, 335-358
- Vincent, G. Russell, D and Milne, S2004 ICT and Capacity Development in Small Caribbean Tourism Enterprises: the STEP Program, in Frew, A, (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism – 2004, Springer Wein, New York, (CD)
- Cleverdon, R, Milne, S and Goodwin, H 2003 Pacific Regional Tourism Development Programme Final Evaluation Project Number: 7.Acp.Rpr.787/8.Acp.Rpa.13, European Union, Brussels
- Cleverdon R and Milne S 2003 Negotiating Framework For Economic Partnership Agreement Negotiations With The European Union Tourism Study, Robert Cleverdon Associates, UK/EU Brussels
- Nodder C., Cate N., Slater K. and Milne S.2003 ICT, Local Government & Tourism Development: Cases from Auckland, New Zealand, in Mistilis, N (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism - Australia 2003, Proceedings of the Second Tourism Technology Futures Forum, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia, pp 46-54.
- Mason, D, Speidel U and Milne S 2003 Community Informatics in Tourism, in Mistilis, N (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism - Australia 2003, Proceedings of the Second Tourism Technology Futures Forum, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia, pp 37-45.
- Nodder, C Mason, D Ateljevic, J and Milne, S 2003 ICT adoption and us in New Zealand’s small and medium tourism enterprises: a cross sectoral perspective, in Frew, A, Hitz, M and O’Connor, P (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism – 2003, Springer Wein, New York, 355-364.
- Garkavenko, V Bremner, H and Milne S 2003 Travel agents and the information age: NZ experiences of disintermediation, in Frew, A, Hitz, M and O’Connor, P (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism – 2003, Springer Wein, New York, 467-476.
- Milne S 2002 Promoting Women's Active Involvement in the Philippines Tourism Industry: Issues and Recommendations, Report produced for United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok.
- Dick, J, Milne, S, Mason, D and Hull J 2002 Heritage Planning Guide for Communities in Newfoundland and Labrador, Association of Heritage Industries for Newfoundland and Labrador, St Johns.
- Mason, D, Guenther, U, Milne, S and Goodman, T 2002 Community Informatics in New Zealand: Applying an Automated Internet Development Tool, in Ames, K et al (eds) proceedings of the IT for Regional Areas Conference (ITiRA) Rockhampton, Central Queensland, 27-29 August 161-166
- Milne, S,Mason, D and Guenther, G 2002 New Zealand Residents and Japanese Tourists: can the Internet Improve Relationships and Linkages? in Morris, P (ed) Dynamics of Japanese Tourism in New Zealand, Asian Studies Institute, Wellington, NZ, 83-92
- Milne, S, and Ewing , G, 2002, Cuba in J. Jafari (ed) Enciclopedia del Turismo, Editorial Sintesis Vallehermoso, Madrid, Spain, 61-63
- Mason, D and Milne, S 2002 E-Commerce and Community Tourism in Palvia, P C, Palvia, S. C. Roche, E M (eds) Global Information Technology and Electronic Commerce: Issues for the New Millenium, Ivy League Publishing Ltd, Marietta, Gerogia, 294-310
- Hull, J. and Milne, S., (2001). From Nets to the "Net": Marketing Tourism on Quebec's Lower North Shore, in Baerenholdt. In N. E. J.O and Aarsaether (Ed.), Coping Strategies in the North (Vol. 2). Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers 159-180.
- span style="font-family: Arial">Milne S and Mason D 2001 Tourism, Web-Raising & Community Development,in Sheldon, PJ, Wober KW and Fesenmaier D (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer Wein, New York, 283-94
- Milne, S and Ateljevic, J 2001 Technology and service quality in the tourism and hospitality industry, in J. Kandampully, C Mok and B. Sparks (eds) Service Quality Management in Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Hawarth Press, New York, 281-295
- Milne, S., & Ateljevic, I. 2001 Tourism, economic development and the global-local nexus: theory embracing complexity. Tourism Geographies, 3(4), 369-393.
- Milne, S, and Ewing , G, 2000 Cuba, in J. Jafari et al (ed) Encyclopaedia of Tourism, Routledge, London, 42-3.
- Milne, S 1999Tourism and Sustainable Development: Global Trends and Issues, report prepared for the Inter-Sectoral Unit for Tourism, Organisation of American States, Washington, D.C.
- Milne, S and Garnham, B 1999 New Zealand tourism, in Thom, B et al (eds) Geographica (Atlas of the World), Bateman, Sydney
- S. Tufts and S. Milne 1999 Montreal museums: a supply side perspective, Annals of Tourism Research, 26:3, 617-635
- Milne, S 1998 Tourism and Sustainable Development: an Action Plan for the 2002 Summit of the Americas, consulting report prepared for the Inter-Sectoral Unit for Tourism, Organisation of American States, Washington, D.C.
- J. Hull and S. Milne 1998 Tourism, gender and the labour process: the case of Quebec’s Lower North Shore, Journal of Travel and Recreation Research 23 (2), 13-22.
- G.Vincent, S. Milne and E.Sarigollu 1998 Estimating demand for Grenada's Tourism Product, International Journal of Consumer Marketing 10 (3), 63-84
- Milne, S 1998 Tourism and sustainable development: exploring the global-local nexus, in Hall and Lew (eds) Sustainable Tourism, Addison Wesley, London, 35-48.
- Milne, S 1998 Tourism linkages and leakages, in the World Tourism Organisation – Tourism Economic Report, WTO, Madrid, 77-79.
- Milne, S , Grekin, J, and Woodley, S 1998 Tourism and the construction of place in Canada’s Eastern Arctic, in G. Ringer (ed) Destinations: Cultural Landscapes of Tourism, Routledge, London, 101-120.
- Milne, S and C. Pohlmann 1998 Continuity and change in the hotel sector: some evidence from Montreal, in Ioannides, D and Debbage, K (eds) The Economic Geography of the Tourism Industry: a Supply-side Analysis Routledge, London, 180-196.
- Milne, S and Gill, K 1998 Distribution technologies and destination development: myths and realities, in Ioannides, D and Debbage, K (eds) The Economic Geography of the Tourism Industry: a Supply-side Analysis Routledge, London, 123-138.
- Milne, S 1997 Beyond the vicious cycle?: tourism, dependency and South Pacific microstates, in D. Lockhart and D. Drakakis-Smith (eds) Island Tourism, Mansell, London, 281-301
- Milne, S and Nowosielski, L 1996 Travel distribution technologies and sustainable tourism development: the case of South Pacific microstates, J. of Sustainable Tourism, 22, 131-150.
- Milne, S 1996 Travel distribution technologies and the marketing of Pacific microstates, in Hall, M. and Page, S (eds) Pacific Tourism, Thomson International Press, London, 109-129
- Grekin, J and Milne, S 1996 Community based tourism: the experience of Pond Inlet, in R.W. Butler and T.Hinch (eds) Tourism and Native Peoples, Thomson International, London , 76-106
- Chang, T.C., Milne, S and Fallon, D 1996 "Urban Heritage Tourism: Exploring the Global-Local Nexus" Annals of Tourism Research 29 (2)1-19.
- Milne, S, Ward, S. and Wenzel, G. 1995 "Linking Tourism and Art in Canada's Eastern Arctc: the case of Cape Dorset" Polar Record 31 (176): 125-36.
- Milne, S, Waddington, R and Perey, A. 1994"Canadian Rail Freight in the 1990s: toward more flexible forms of organisation?"Tijdschrift Voor Economische en Sociale Geografie 85 (2), 159-174.
- Milne, S and S. Tufts 1993"Industrial Restructuring and the Future of the Small Firm: the case of Canadian Microbreweries", Environment and Planning A 25, 847-861.
- Milne, S, 1993"Canada and the Arctic" in S. Corbridge (ed) The Encyclopedia of the World Economy, Oxford University Press, New York, 44-51.
- Nickels, S, Milne, S and Wenzel, G., 1992"Community Perceptions of a Proposed Conservation Area: the case of Igalirtuuq and Clyde River, Baffin Island, Canada", in J.H. Wilkinson et al (eds) Science and the Management of Protected Areas, Elsevier Press, Amsterdam, 499-503.
- Milne, S and J. Grekin 1992 "Travel Agents as Information Brokers: the case of the Baffin Region: Northwest Territories" Operational Geographer 10 (3), 11-15.
- Milne, S, 1992"Tourism development in Niue", Annals of Tourism Research 19 (3) 565-569.
- Milne, S, 1992"Changing Corporate Practices and their Spatial Implications: the case of the UK Small Appliance Industry ",Tijds. Voor Economische en Sociale Geografie 83 (1), 50-62.
- Milne, S, 1992"Tourism and Development in South Pacific Island Microstates", Annals of Tourism Research 19 (2) 191-212.
- Nickels, S, Milne, S and Wenzel, G., 1991"Resident Perceptions of Tourism Development: the case of Clyde River, Baffin Island, NWT. Inuit Studies. 15 (1), 157-170.
- Milne, S, 1991"The UK Whiteware Industry: Fordism, Flexibility or Somewhere In Between?, Regional Studies, 25(3), 239-253.
- Milne, S, 1991 "Small Firms, Industrial Reorganisation and Space: the case of the UK Hi-Fi Industry",Environment and Planning A, 23, 833-852.
- Milne, S, 1991 "Tourism Development in Papua New Guinea", Annals of Tourism Research 18 (3), 508-511.
- Milne, S, 1991 "The Economic Impact of Tourism in Kiribati", Pacific Studies, 14 (2) 53-70.
- Milne, S, 1990 "Tourism and Economic Development in Vanuatu", Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 11 (1),13-26.
- Milne, S, 1990 "The Economic Impact of Tourism in Tonga", Pacific Viewpoint, 31(1) 24-43.
- Milne, S, 1990 "New Forms of Manufacturing and Their Spatial Implications: the case of the UK Consumer Electronics Industry", Environment and Planning A, 22 (2), 211-232.
- Milne, S, 1990 "The Impact of Tourism Development in Small Pacific Island States", New Zealand Journal of Geography , 89, April, 16-21 .
- Milne, S., 1988 The Economic Impact of International Tourism on the National Economy of Vanuatu, United Nations Development Programme and World Tourism Organisation publication, WTO, Madrid
- Milne, S., 1988 The Economic Impact of International Tourism on the National Economy of Papua New Guinea, United Nations Development Programme and World Tourism Organisation publication, WTO, Madrid.
- Milne, S., 1988The Economic Impact of International Tourism on the National Economy of Kiribati, United Nations Development Programme and World Tourism Organisation publication, WTO, Madrid.
- Milne, S., 1988 The Economic Impact of International Tourism on the National Economy of Niue, United Nations Development Programme and World Tourism Organisation publication, WTO, Madrid.
- Milne, S., 1988 The Economic Impact of International Tourism on the National Economy of Tonga, United Nations Development Programme and World Tourism Organisation publication, WTO, Madrid.
- Lau, C, Milne S and Johnston, C 2004 Linking MICE properties to local economic development: the role of ICT in New Zealand, in Frew, A, (ed) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism – 2004, Springer Wein, New York, 458-467.
- Milne, S, 1988 "The Changing Structure of Employment in Auckland and New Zealand", New Zealand Journal of Geography, 85, April, 2-7.
- Milne, S., 1987 The Economic Impact of Tourism in the Cook Islands, Department of Geography Occasional Publication No. 21, University of Auckland pp 86.
- Milne, S, 1987 "The Cook Islands Tourist Industry: Ownership and Planning", Pacific Viewpoint, 28 (2), 119-138.
- Milne, S, 1987 "Differential Multipliers", Annals of Tourism Research, 14 (4), 499-515.
- Milne, S, 1987 "Formalising the Informal Sector: Flea markets in the Auckland Region", New Zealand Geographer, 43 (1), 2-9.
- La Trobe Sales Manager Survey
- KARORI WILDLIFE SANCTUARY MARKET DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
- GLISTENING WATERS STORYTELLING FESTIVAL
- MAF Travel Agents and Biosecurity National Survey
- Auckland City Council: Community Gardens
- The Local Economic Impact of the Mt Hutt Ski Area
- Winners and Losers: Auckland's Americas Cup 2000
- Museum Website Study
- TOURISM IN GOLDEN BAY: Economic Impacts & Resource Use Issues
- MOUNT RUAPEHU SKI-FIELDS: AN ECONOMIC IMPACT STUDY
- Eco-Gateway! Auckland's Emerging Role as an Ecotourism Destination
- MAUNGAWHAU: A Study of Visitor Use and Attitudes
- North Shore City Tourism Management Plan
- Understanding and Enhancing IT Use in Small Tourism Businesses
- Takapuna Market: Characteristics, Use & Perceptions
- Auckland's Local & Premier Parks: Community Use and Values
- ARC Vehicle Recalibration Survey
- New Zealand Centre for SME Research
- Waikato Lakes Tourism Development Feasibility Study
- Pronatura Veracruz
- Travel Agent Participation in Biosecurity Awareness
- Orewa Beach Reef Charitable Trust – Beach Users Survey and Economic Development Implications
- The Auckland Visiting Friends & Relatives Market (VFR)
- Department of Labour’s Future of Work Research Programme 03-04
- EU Proinvest Profit in the Pacific Project
- Maungawhau/Mt Eden Coach Study
- Economic Impact Study of Tourism in the Pacific region
- Suratthani University Thailand Tourism Training Programme
- The Economic Significance of the Southern Lakes Ski Areas - 2005 Winter Season
- The Local Economic Impact of the Wanganui Blooming Artz Festival
- Mobile Interactive Visitor Information Service Trial at Mt Bruce
- The Cook Islands Cruise Ship Feasibility Study
- Rangitikei District Visitor Survey
- SPTO Tourism Toolkit
- Newfoundland & Labrador Product Market Match Strategy
- SPTO - Tourism Strategy Development Resources
- The New Zealand Market for Tahiti Tourism Experiences
- SPTO - Tourism Investment Marketplace
- The Local Impacts of the Lindauer Queenstown Winter Festival 2006
- Department Of Labour: Food and Beverage Productivity Study 2006
- North Shore City Tourism Research Programme
- Pukaha Mount Bruce Wildlife Sanctuary Capability Study
- InterCity Group Ltd Customer Research
- 2007 Pasifika Festival Stallholder Survey
- Cook Islands Tourism Corporation - Visitor Departure Survey
- Chile training workshop
- ATTTO Web-survey
- The New Zealand Market for South Pacific Island Tourism Experiences
- T.R.A.C.E website: Tourism Research and Community Empowerment
- 2008 Pasifika Festival Research Programme
- UNEP Workshop in Samoa: Indigenous Communities, Tourism and Biodiversity (3-14 November 2008)
- Niue Tourism Research Programme
- Manukau City Council: Manurewa Marae Web-raising
- YHA Research Programme
- Ministry of Fisheries: Marine tourism, fisheries and community: creating barometers of economic change
- Viet Nam Project 165 Management Training: Urban Planning and Tourism Management
- Aviation, Tourism and Travel Training Organisation – 2009 Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Aviation, Tourism and Travel Training Organisation - Aviation
- Aviation, Tourism and Travel Training Organisation - Travel
- ATTTO - Tourism
- Work in a Warming World
- Hawkes Bay Visitor Strategy Research
- Cook Islands Visitor Survey 2012
- Tourism and Urban Development in the Albert-Eden Area: building local economies and ‘sense of place’
- Ironman New Zealand Research Programme
- ATTTO - Museums
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa: ‘Our Space’ Summative Evaluation
- Puhoi to Pakiri Area Visitor Strategy Research Programme