Dr. Semisi Taumoepeau
Head of Arts, Hospitality and Tourism Management Programmes
AIS St Helens Asquith Campus
120 Asquith Avenue
Mt. Albert, Auckland 1025, New Zealand.
P.O. Box 2995, Auckland 1140
Telephone: (64-9) 845 5606
Facsimile: (64-9) 845 5609
- Dr Taumoepeau has over the years worked for more than 25 years in the Pacific islands on the following areas: national/regional tourism planning; economic appraisal of national and regional tourism and airline projects; environmentally sustainable tourism plans; economic impact of tourism in island economies; analysis of tourism business trends; economic recovery assignments; air transportation management, regional tourism and airlines organizations; Tourism education and training in the Pacific islands.
He is the recipient of an international award (PATA) for outstanding services to the tourism and the aviation industry of the Asia Pacific region in 2000 in Hong Kong.
Member of the New Zealand Tourism Industry Association (NZTIA) Board from 2009-present date.
- 1976 – Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc) (Chemistry/Biochemistry) University of Auckland.
- 1977 – Certificate in Tourism Promotion, Japan National Tourist Organisation, Tokyo, Japan
- 1978 – Certificate in Project Planning – University of Bradford, United Kingdom.
- 1980 – Graduated from the Executive Development Institute in Tourism (EDIT) Management Programme, University of Hawaii, Hawaii, USA.
- 1989 – Master of Science (MSc) Degree (Tourism Planning & Development), University of Surrey, United Kingdom. MSc thesis ‘Air transportation and development of tourism in the Kingdom of Tonga’
- 2007- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), USC, Queensland, Australia. Thesis ‘A Blueprint for the economic sustainability of the small national airlines of the South Pacific’.
- Consultancies and advisory work
Study on suitability of Low Cost Airlines (LCA) for the Pacific islands
- Study on ‘Should governments of the South Pacific be involved in the provision of local air services’
- Significance of national events, such as the recent coronation of HM King George V of Tonga to the local economy
- Study of the impact of remittances from overseas Tongans to the local economy
- IT Training assessment survey in Tonga
- Tonga Aviation Sector Strategic Plan study sponsored by the World Bank
- Facilitator/Adviser for the Tonga National Tourism Forum sponsored by NZAid
- Taumoepeau, S.(2009) South Pacific Aviation, VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany. ISBN 978-3-639-13026-3
- A Chapter on Transportation and Infrastructure as part of a book, The Pacific Islands: Environment & Society, edited by Moshe Rapaport, University of Hawaii 2010
- Taumoepeau, S.(2008) South Pacific, in A. Graham et al, (eds.) Aviation and Tourism: Implications for Leisure Travel, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp:323-331. ISBN-13:978-0-7546-7187-9
- Tonga Book: Takimamata moe Folau’eve’eva (Tourism in Tonga) by Semisi Taumoepeau, (2010)